Sunday, November 14, 2010

Gloating Glory




The work week came and I had to prepare for a visit from my TX colleague, the one I had the bet with during the World Series. I had created a virtual shrine on the exterior cube walls, so as he entered our floor, the first thing he'd see was the homage (if you will) to the World Champion Giants! The VP of my group, also a Giants fan, told me to decorate away, go crazy, decorate my door too! I was inspired. I gathered as much propaganda as I could - pages from the daily papers with images of people in the streets, hugs, cheers, and of course, pennants and orange pom poms - anything and everything went on the cube walls so that when Texas entered the building, he'd feel some Giant love.


Texas entered on Tuesday and said, "I expected more" (insert cartoon sound here - wah wah). Then he totally poured water on the whole thing by saying, "you know, I probably go to more Giants games each year than Rangers. I actually like the Giants".
Me: big sigh.
Oh well, it was fun, and my shrine still lives a week later.

Dinner that night with Texas was terrific. We went to Le Colonial in SF. A year or so ago we had eaten there and although we had a gentleman's agreement that we would eat at different places each time he came out, he just had a hankerin' for French/Vietnamese food. We shared the following: Mien Xao Cua - Stir fried glass noodles with Dungeness crab, Laughing Bird shrimp,
egg and scallions, an order of Xu Bruxelles: Pan fried Brussels sprouts, Portobello mushrooms and crispy shallots with a sweet chili sauce, and an order of Vit Ngu Vi Huong: Seared 5-spice Pekin duck breast, with crispy Brussels sprouts and tamarind ginger sauce.

Texas and I couldn't stop saying, "Oh. My. God. This is SO good", as we were each telling tales the other would interrupt with that statement. We kept laughing over the deliciousness of the meal. It was just crazy good - and Texas doesn't love the sprout!

I had wanted to bring the leftovers home to John for his dinner. I mean, there's always something left over - but not tonight - nary a sprout was left on the plate. Poor John. After I got home we sat down together to watch a little t.v. He came into the living room with a plate of something. "what's that?", "something from the freezer." "oh, I'm so sorry. I really wanted to bring something back for you, but, well, it was just, SO good." Oh well, next time.

No comments: