Wednesday, October 27, 2010

SF Jazz Fest

John had toured a bit with Vieux Farka Toure when he was with Pee Wee Ellis on the Tribute to James Brown tour. I thought it fitting to get tickets to see Vieux play with Taj Mahal in a combo blues / African / jazz combo platter at the Paramount Theater in Oakland for John's birthday.

So here's the deal: John killed my ability to enjoy music. It's true. I can no longer listen like a civilian / regular person. I hear music differently now. I understand music like a musician and it has totally ruined my ability to just sit back, listen and have a good time. Now I hear the crap. I can tell when a drummer is rushing or when he can't play well, or when other musicians make mistakes and train wrecks occur. I hear it all, and it sucks.

So on that rainy Saturday night, we found our seats (great seats - and they should have been for $75 each!) and settled in just as Vieux started playing. I loved his set. His playing, singing and stage presence was fantastic. Then Foday Musa Suso played a bit on the Kora. It was spectacular.

Then Taj came out with his trio. I listened to the first couple of songs - Taj has a great presence on stage and at 70, he has not lost a thing in his performing ability. He's still amazing, charming and engaging (and a great performer). His drummer, well, that's another story. For two songs, I chalked up my ennui to the sound. The Paramount has lackluster sound compared to many Bay Area venues. By the third song I had pretty much made up my mind that he was just an uncreative player who could play 16th notes really well. And that was about it. Just tink, tink, tink, tink on the high hat. There was no playing on the rim, no dynamics, nothing. It was the same tempo, same beat, like a goddamn junior high school player - not a single thing to get me interested in the songs. Even during an ensemble piece with Taj, Vieux and Foday, Vieux turned to the drummer to indicate, "bring it up with me" (that means - help me with the intensity of the song), the drummer kept plodding along - think "happy trails" do de do de do de do de.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. John was ready to pull a "John Bonham" and run up on stage, shove the guy off the stool and grab his sticks. I would have welcomed the change of pace.

So there it is - Me - a ruined music listener. I'm done for.

No comments: