Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dinner. Quick!

What was I thinking, agreeing to have four people over for dinner on a Friday night at 6:30? Normally I get home at 6:30. I had been thinking all week, what can I throw together that will be yummy and easy? I decided on clam chowder and crab cakes on salad - easy.

I dashed out of the office a little early and hopped on BART. I ran in the door at 5:15 - started prepping appetizers (cheese and bruchetta, with tomatoes and basil fresh from the garden). Luckily my clam chowder "recipe" calls for a lot of cans and little cooking: three cans from different mfrs of chowder, 1 can of corn, bake two potatos, toss in some extra milk, a little chopped onion, cayenne, and add butter - voila! The crab cakes were a tad more challenging - crab season hasn't opened yet - we resorted to the $16/8 oz tin of crab (good quality but pricey). They turned out fine, but there's nothing like REAL REAL REAL crab.

Guests arrived on time and we imbibed. They seemed impressed by my de-canning ability for which I was grateful. Finally around 10:30/11:00 guests departed and I collapsed.

No comments: