Sunday, November 7, 2010

Giant Monday

Most of us at work could hardly contain our excitement on Monday. Even our VP said, "go home early to watch the game", so I caught an earlier bus home. Of course by this point my TX pal stopped texting. At the 7th inning, when Renteria slammed in that 3 run hommer I couldn't help but send a text - the silence was deafening. At the end of the game John and I jumped up and down and screamed so loud the cats nearly tore a hole in the couch trying to run away from the insanity. We were ecstatic - unable to contain our joy.

Tuesday I pinged TX - "no congratulations?"
"They didn't play well. It was like a little league game"
"sour grapes"

Wednesday I got into the city at 8 a.m. Our building sits on the corner of Montgomery and Market, right along the parade route. I had never been to a parade before - not like this - not when the Niners won a super bowl - Never. This was going to be a great day. The energy of the fans coursed through the city as a dense crowd had already gathered.

I pinged TX again,
"surprised I haven't heard from you"
"I'd rather re-take Congress than win a World Series any day"
"Can't hear you over the noise of the parade"
"you're a bad liar. the parade doesn't start for two hours"
"the crowd gathered early. Gotta go. You're distracting me from my joy"

My 10 a.m. meeting ended quickly and my colleagues and I had blocked out time for a "meeting" from 11 - 1. At 10:30 we were already suffering from " fear of missing out" syndrome, so we hopped the elevator down the 28 flights. The crowd must have been 50 deep and I'm just not good in crowds. Thankfully our lobby is slightly elevated - in fact, just enough for me to stand safely inside and just above everyone's heads. As the parade passed I could see the faces of the players. Although being inside made me feel insulated, I still enjoyed the event, especially as Bochy rode by holding up the World Series Trophy. Fifty years in the making and finally a World Series trophy.

As the parade passed I went outside. The crowd lessened and I could still feel the joyous energy. Black and orange ticker tape covered the streets like a fine dusting of snow. I stood outside for about 10 minutes just enjoying the buzz of the crowd. By 5:30 as I headed home, the streets were still filled with people in their Giant's gear. This must be what it's like to live in NYC when the Yankees win - everyone in their garb - all part of the same tribe. We were all one that day - all Giant's fans united in our love for the city, the game, the players and the team.

No comments: