Thursday, November 11, 2010

Now that was different

I walked to my car in the MacArthur BART parking lot after a long week of work on Friday. I turned the key in the ignition and the lights on the dash started going crazy. There was barely a whrrrr of the engine. "CRAP". I tried again, and again.
Nothing.

AAA arrived within 15 minutes and jumped started the car - ah! just the battery. I drove to Tiburon and stopped at the super market before going to Diana and Harvey's for a Paella dinner. I got to my car and ...
Nothing.

Rather than calling AAA I flagged down a guy in a giant truck. After a few tries (apparently maneuvering a Jumbo truck in a near empty parking lot requires a certain skill) , he got his truck close enough to my car to give me a jump.

After dinner at Diana and Harvey's (a fun event attended by former High School classmates, none of whom I'd ever met in my life), my cousin Rebecca's husband Joe jumped me. This provided hours of humor for the whole family - my car battery is in the back of the car - therefore requiring that I get jumped from behind. Joe giggled endlessly.

We got to George's in San Rafael - now the new, New George's, without the "New" to see John play with American Drag.

Then Harvey jumped me from behind.

In the morning, Saturday, Dale picked me up so we could ride (horses). That afternoon, Dale jumped me - from behind.

I made it to the gas station to get the new battery and learned that my "cost per wear" was equivalent to making money on the battery. I couldn't recall ever getting a new battery in the 10 years I've had the car - apparently the life-span of a batter is 3-5 years. I definitely came out ahead on this deal. Plus - I am now an expert on jump starting a car - front, or back.

No comments: